Monday, November 14, 2011

Seeing is believing



Leading up to the week 10 matchup between San Francisco and The New York football Giants, I was anxious, excited, nervous and uncertain of our chances to beat a very good football team. Eli Manning is a top flight QB in the NFL and our defense hasn't face anyone like him this season. Across the sports world, specifically on the East coast, we are lead to believe that the Giants are the better football team and San Francisco is just not good enough to win this game. As much as I wanted to believe this team would win, but honestly, I was doubting our abilities. Alex Smith has been a player that fans have blamed for the dreadful offensive play over the past six years and I was starting to think that the old Alex Smith would eventually show his face. As a fan, I always want my team to win; as a Niner fan, I expect my team to win. That includes all the seasons when we lost ten plus games, when Mike Nolan and Mike Singeltary were coach, it didn't matter. During yesterdays game, I still had this feeling deep inside my gut that lead me to believe that we would lose.
As the game began to unfold, I started to think that maybe this team was different. Maybe they would step up when the game got tough and when New York started to drive the field, score points and inflict their strengths on this great defense. I kept thinking that they would find a way to lose this game, as they have so many times before. I was unable to sit still, the stress was overwhelming, I was screaming at the TV, yelling when things went bad and fist pumping and screaming at the top of my lings when the team made big plays to shut down the Giants. It was easily the most incredible football game I have watched in the last ten years. All of that being said, I needed to see this team win a big game, when times were tough and a great QB was trying to rip victory from our hands. I needed to see Patrick Willis sack Manning, I needed to see Carlos Rogers step between the ball and the Giants receiver and take the ball away. I needed to see how this team responded when Manning threw a touchdown pass and put the pressure on Alex Smith to score again. All of things I saw, lead me to believe that this team has what it takes to make a deep run in the playoffs and cause problems for the elite teams in the NFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment